During the next four years, Devon Labour will:
- • Promote enterprise through investment, innovation, improving people’s skills, sustainable jobs and give priority to opportunities for young people and small businesses including cooperatives and other innovative models
- • Tackle the climate and ecological emergency by promoting environmentally sustainable practices and reducing carbon emissions towards a target of net zero by 2030
- • Improve Devon’s health and social care services by making sure people in Devon receive good quality integrated services at hospital and at home that address the long-term effects of Covid19
- • Promote better Public Health solutions and funding to address health and wellbeing including mental health.
- • Support nurseries, schools, colleges and universities so that all young people thrive, catch up on lost education as a result of Covid-19 and reach their full potential
- • Establish county wide fast broadband connection accessible to all
Strategy & Overview
Devon faces enormous challenges in the wake of the pandemic and a decade of cuts inflicted by Tory austerity. Devon must now be sufficiently resourced to deal with the impact of the Covid-19 pandemic on both our economy and on the health and well-being of our residents. Decisive leadership and action are essential to create a new post-Brexit economy and we support the growing awareness across our population and beyond, that action to deal with climate change is one of the most urgent issues we face as a society.
The County Labour Group recognises that residents within Devon face many issues around employment, transport, education and health. Whilst the impact felt in each of these areas may vary from community to community, we will seek and strive to represent all those affected by these challenges and be their voice at County Hall. Wide ranging engagement, a belief in the power of collective endeavour and the innovations we can create together is fundamental to our outlook as Devon Labour. As such, we are always on the lookout for ideas to address the challenges facing communities of both coast and country. If you have any thoughts on our focus, any suggestions for new policy, or any ideas for new and exciting campaigns, we invite you therefore to get in touch. To further these aims we will actively seek to promote debate, produce sound policy, organise campaigns and enact real change.
Equality and Diversity
At all times, Devon Labour will promote and strive to secure equality, diversity, inclusivity, and tolerance that reflects the diverse communities which we serve. We are committed to ensuring that all members of society are treated in a fair and equal manner and that this is embedded within our policies and working practices. We are also committed to eliminating all inequalities that give rise to poverty, poor health outcomes, and unequal educational and job opportunities.